Monday, April 15, 2013

Faith Over Fear

As I watch the coverage of the tragedy that has occured at the Boston Marathon, I find my faith in the benevolence of the Universe shaken and doubting. I regularly teach my clients about the power of positive thinking, of having faith in the face of fearful circumstances. I encourage clients to believe that the world is a safe place overall, and that people are, more often than not, wired for good. I usually struggle with the idea of evil: perhaps idealistic and naive, but my sheltered, suburban life has allowed me to believe that evil is an "idea", a concept more than a reality. And then these tragedies happen. Is evil real? Are we at it's mercy, whenever it desires to strike? Is our belief in a loving, protective Higher Power a fallacy? Or are these tragedies reminders that faith is easy to have when we feel safest, but it is exactly when we face our most fearful times, when we are riddled with doubt and questioning, that we most need to rely on our faith. I wish i could say I am able to take strength from my faith, that I can lean back into the arms of Universal Love and trust that peace will reign in the end. But I'm unsure, at best, of how I feel and what I believe. I'm hoping to learn from all of you how you have faced tragedy and learned again to trust, to believe, and to hope.




No comments:

Post a Comment