Thursday, August 1, 2013

Pollyanna WHO?

A wise old sage once said, "You can't swing a cat without hitting a life lesson." OK, so no sage--wise, old or otherwise-- ever said that. Just a tired, middle-aged working mother whose skills with metaphors sorely need a jumpstart. But you get the gist. We are daily confronted with challenges that are ripe with learning and growth. Now, I'm not going to get all Pollyanna-ish about these challenges. Indeed, many of the hiccups, obstacles and plain ol' terrifying choices we face are nothing short of brutal and harrowing. A nasty divorce, a frightening diagnosis, the death of s beloved pet are all experiences that many of us barely survive without resorting to fantasies of fleeing to another country under an assumed name and living out our days aa far from the site of our tragedy as we can humanly get. I'm not parroting the gems like "everything happens for a reason" or "God won't give you more than you can handle". (Try saying that to the Lost Boys of the Sierra Leone or to a parent who has lost a child. ) No, I will struggle all my days with the grief that comes with undeserved suffering. But I'm starting to believe that the smaller, daily irritations, failures and mistakes are chances for me to challenge myself to be my better self. Who hasn't wanted to respond snarkily to the co-worker who criticizes our project/ideas/latest do-it-yourself hair color? (You know who you are.) Yet, I've found that, when I can muster up the patience, or courage or self-discipline needed in such moments, I walk away feeling not only better about myself, but more optimistic about us as a species. (OK, call me Pollyanna). After all, if a flawed, fearful weakling like me can choose to wish grace on s noxious neighbor, or practice patience when my son loses his $150 calculator for the THIRD time, then there is hope for all of us. Life will never be a smooth, even road. Being willing to see the bumps as opportunities to practice those life skills that make our daily lives easier, more peaceful, even just more bearable, is a lesson I try to be willing to sign up for every chance I get. And like most of us, I get plenty of chances. So much for being a freckle-faced redhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment